Saturday 2 June 2012

Competitions

I entered a competition earlier this year, the most important part of the prize being publication upon the completion of my book (I have in fact already finished my first book, am now having the second privately edited, while I work on my third but that's neither here nor there).

Part of the competition small print was that winners would be notified on or before 31st May 2012.

As you can most likely guess, I have not received any notification of any thing so I must take it as read that I have not won.  Though I do not mind this fact much, once I had dealt with my disappointment, as it means that a fellow writer is now bring their career (good luck, long life and good health to them, may their career span a hundred books) I would have liked just a little note to say that I had not won, just an e-mail.

So many people complain about rejection letters.  I am fast coming to the conclusion that it is more hurtful to receive no news at all.  Though rejection letters are undoubtedly painful in their own way, they at least let you know that your work was worth looking at instead of being thrown on to the slush pile right away.  As it is I must deal with the fact that neither of the judges felt that my work was worth a nod in my direction.

When you are throwing your work into the abyss, is it too much for the abyss to acknowledge that fact?

No comments:

Post a Comment