Monday 11 June 2012

Nervous

O.K.  First off, big thank you to those that have been looking in on my blog, it is good to know that somebody out there is interested in what I write.  I think every writer at this stage of their career needs some encouragement, even the anonymous encouragement of the postview chart.

What I mean by 'this stage of their career' is where I am now.  I've entered my novel it several novel competitions and received not so much as an e-mail saying that I didn't make the grade in reply.  I'm now looking down the deadline of yet another competition and I'm not even sure that I can drum up the courage to enter it.  If for no other reason than the rules say that it is not restricted by theme or style but it makes no mention as to genre.  Therefore, do I enter it in the hope that it is open to science fiction? Because if it is not all I'm going to receive is yet another blanking, never good for the self confidence.  I suppose you could say that nothing ventured nothing gained and as a writer I'm letting myself in for a slaying from the critics anyway, so it is about time I grew a thicker skin.  At the same time, I really don't want to waste my money entering a competition I have no hope of winning.

I wish, when competition organisers made the rules for these things, they would specify what constitutes a 'literary' novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment