Monday 15 October 2012

Power Failure

Do we really ever realise how much we in the Western world rely on electricity?  I mean really realise?  Part of me says I doubt it but a couple of events recently has gone a way to opening my eyes.

First off - an over sensitive RCD.  We are still in the process of cleaning the house so the TV is still off.  Therefore, my sister borrowed one laptop to watch a film.  Meanwhile I have recently started playing a real time strategy game on  my computer.  I'm doing fairly well on it so I would like to keep it up.  I plugged my laptop in to keep the battery charged up while I'm playing and immediately the RCD cut out.  I didn't even turn the socket on, it just flipped every trip in the house.  Eventually we managed to turn on both laptops without them tripping the RCD but it was something of a struggle.

The second thing - a steamer that drops dead at the sight of a socket.  We are still trying to clean all the nicotine of the previous tenants out of the house and the best way has been to steam clean ceiling, walls and in some cases, the floors.  However, it is incredibly difficult to put in a full days work on the house when the steamer not only trips out the RCD but also kills it's own element!  What is really frustrating is the fact I only bought it about a week ago.  I am beginning to suspect that even the equipment is giving up this house as a bad job.

These two events have made me realise that when the electricity stops running both work and play grind to a halt.  Kind of hints that we should take better care of the coal reserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment