Sunday 5 July 2015

Art Galleries And Extra Work

O.K. a new Art Gallery opened on one of the main streets of Dereham recently and as I was in Dereham yesterday I thought that I would pop in and have a look see.

Oh my word, there is stuff in there that is absolutely amazing!  Although I'm finally reaching the stage where I can look at artwork like that and not immediately think 'there's no way I'm going to make it in this career', which is a relief.

However, when I enquired about renting a section of the wall, as the Gallery advertises, I suffered a set back.  Apparently it has to be 'Original' artwork not (despite the fact that I spotted at least ten pieces up on the wall that said that 'Print' on the label beside them) and they also have to be Bespoke Framed.

Excuse me, but where do you suppose a new, just starting artist who is not getting regular commissions is going to find the money to bespoke frame their artwork?  The last time I saw a framing service they were charging £20 for an A4 to be framed.  So to get all 12 of my completed originals framed that would be a bill of £240.  I don't have that in the business account, at all!

What don't people get?  I'm a new artist, I have to display my work so that people will buy it and then I will receive money.  However, it appears that I must have money to display my work so I'm running as fast as I can, only to stay stuck in exactly the same spot.  Am I the only one who thinks that this isn't right, isn't fair and isn't justice?

I am trying to create myself a job in a country and a world that doesn't have any jobs going at the moment for Asperger Autistic me and for this I am penalised because I didn't have the strength left by the time I finished the AS levels not to have a mental break down, wasn't born to rich parents and don't have a sugar daddy willing to marry me.

The only way around the whole Bespoke Framing thing is if I going out and buy some canvases and paint them up with some original artwork, because the canvases mounted on the walls weren't framed.  I know that is output of money but it will probably be a lot less than Bespoke Framing would be and I do produce another load of original artwork.  Now I just have to try and find the time in which to do this extra work.  (Groans, buries her face in her hands and wishes to go back to bed before she starts sobbing.)

It's an artists life.

No comments:

Post a Comment