Tuesday 18 August 2015

Artwork and the Lack of a Camera

After many months of struggling to make time for it, I have finally managed to return to my artwork and my current project 'Mulo's Son, Morrigan's Daughter'.  Having started it in January, it rather ground to a halt after I finished painting the back ground but still the start of this month I have been able to put the base colours on the Mulo's son and start layering up the fur texture.

Of course what hasn't helped with the sheer amount of time this one is taking is that I upgraded from A4 to A3.  That of course means twice as much paper to cover and paint to use.  However, there is a very good reason for this, besides a leaning towards being a glutton for punishment.  I was studying the Rodney Mathews art book 'In Search of Forever' and there is a particular picture of an alien style moose is an alpine forest where the snow is a beautiful smooth shade of lilac.  Rodney Matthews comment on it was "I have often been asked how I made the snow so smooth.  The answer is that I painted it on A1.  If you paint a picture on A4 and turn it into a poster, no matter how smooth you made the A4 painting, the brush strokes will show up on the poster.  Make it poster sized and shrink to A4 and it will look amazing."

Unfortunately, I have no businesses near me that can scan and JPEG anything larger than A3 so I've gone for as large as I can manage.  I am glad to say that all ready it is paying off as I'm able to include details that I would not have done on A4 so hopeful once I've finished it and scanned it, it will look superb on my merchandise.

It has been suggested to me that I paint on A1 and use a really, high powered Digital Camera to take the images.  There are two problems with this.  I do not know anyone with a high powered digital camera who would take the images for me and I do not own one myself.  Seeing that I need to order new stock in on my books soon as well as several top ups for my artwork merchandise I do not currently possess the money for anything like that so I have to stick with what I know works, hence why there is no 'in progress' photo with this blog post.

Hopefully I will have it finished soon and then everyone will be able to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment