Wednesday 5 September 2012

Odysseus of Moving - Part 2

So the plaster board arrived and I had to start cleaning all the dust out of my room-to-be.  First hurdle with this - nearly killing the dyson.  Apparently it has no liking for sucking up large amounts of plaster dust.  I have found something that will make a dyson loose suction!  However, I think sucking plaster dust is categorised under 'industrail use' so I don't think I can complain.  Considering how much use and abuse that little machine has taken over the years its belonged to us...  I really can't complain.

Next step, wash down the room.  Well, I used the steamer in the effort to remove the nicotine from the ceiling.  A case of steam, wipe, move on, steam, wipe, squeeze cloth out into the bucket etc.  I called the resulting collection in the bucket 'my bucket of cancer'.  'The Cancer Cowboy Rides Out' (John Connolly) eat your heart out.  It put me off milky tea for quite a while.

After that I brought out the sugar soap.  After the scrub, the rinse and finally the room was ready for some sealant - watered down Eva-Bond PVA being my weapon of choice.  I put three layers of it on the ceiling and the nicotine was still trying to come through so a fourth had to go on. UGH!  I also put three layer on the walls and a less dilute solution on the floor boards before I finally killed the smell of old cigarettes.  Seriously, how can people live in this amount of dirty without becoming some horribly mutated monsters.  Or does ignorance come under that category?

We have finally started putting up the plaster board now but since that is a job that takes three of us, on the days when one of us is away, I have continued to steam the paint off the rest of the house.  I'll be the first to admit that I like coffee but not as a gloss paint up the stairway wall.  And that was what was underneath the snot green, rancid yellow and sea blue layers that had been painted over the top of it.  Either some people have very strange tastes or there's been a whole succession of people with strange tastes living in the house before us.

An up note - we should be regaining our internet access on the tenth of September.  Fun with the dongle coming up next.

No comments:

Post a Comment