Monday 3 September 2012

Odysseus of Moving

O.K. I will try to update this page with some photographs sometime, the moment I have found the cable needed to attach my camera to the computer and have worked out how to do it but for now I'll have to rely on just description.  A challenge for my writing skills so here goes:

We moved to our new house on the fourth of August.  Four days later Mother had the kitchen clean enough to start unpacking the boxes marked 'Kitchen'.  That should give you an idea of just how disgustingly dirty this place is.  I know it is probably very unchristian but I am rather glad that we didn't have time at the old place to wash out the cupboards in the kitchen.  As I said unchristian but I don't think that it would have been appreciated any way.

What is more we can't really complain about it to the council because we had already signed the tenancy agreement which states 'taken as seen'.  However, that was signed before we saw it empty and I'm sorry but you can't see the maggots crawling in the back of the utility room when it's still full of their crap (if you'll pardon the language).

Once the kitchen was just about clean enough to use my first job was to chop down the hedge that ran along side the drive and dig out it's roots,  seeing that it was the cause of us having to call out the plumber at eight o'clock at night on the day we moved because it had blocked up the toilet drain.  Thankfully we have a terrific bunch of neighbours, the first one helping us to chop down the hedge and then dig it up.  His friend then helped us chop it all up and his other friend then donating his tractor and trailer to cart it all away.  That took us about two weeks.

The next job that I was assigned was the de-papering of my room.  You know that a very heavy smoker has been smoking in the house when you spray the wallpaper to soak it off and the water runs down the wall yellow.  And not a paint yellow either, unless you have some really, shall we say, unusual tastes.

The amount of nicotine on the walls may have had something to do with the struggle we had to remove the wall paper in the bedroom that is going to be mine.  In the end we resorted to the streamer and that finally managed to budge it.

I'm not entirely sure why, other than the fact that the plaster was falling off, the room had been papered because it was exactly the same purple under the paper as on top of it.  I was not keeping that colour, especially as it still stank of cigarette smoke so we took the plaster off the really badly cracked wall and then I tried to steam the paint off the others.  Not only was the paint horrible to look at but it had been put on only one layer thick so steaming it off was not possible, unless I fancied picking it off one square inch at a time, if I was lucky.  Out came the sander. Que lots of dust and noise.  However, it was coming off fairly quickly, until my sister came home yelling that she had found a cheap source of plaster board so we were going to do that instead.

Cheap source of plaster board?  If over a hundred and nine pounds is cheap, I'd hate to see expensive.  However, I will admit that it did mean that I could dyson up the dust a lot sooner, although the dyson objected to the treatment.

And all this only takes us up to August the twenty fourth.

No comments:

Post a Comment