Wednesday 29 July 2015

Banking on a Barclays

Right, I know that this will come as a surprise to many of you because I did not advertise this one but yesterday, Tuesday the 28th , I held a pop up stall at the Barclays in Dereham.

If you are a small business and your local Barclays is part of this scheme I really do advice you to get in on it.  My local Barclays provided a table free of charge and opposite the glass front door so people could see me the moment that they walked in.  All I had to provide was my stock and a chair to sit on.

It went fairly well.  I managed to sell two of my books and five postcards in total.  The two books went in the morning with the postcards following in a steady-ish trickle.  Had a period between 12 and 2 when things went pretty much dead but I've come to expect that.  What made hanging on in that period was that I was having to sit there and consider routes to the nearest lady's room on account of a sicky feeling stomach.  I've been having nothing but trouble recently with indigestion and it is really beginning to get me down as I have enough problems finding food I can eat with my list of food alleges without having my stomach decide it's going to rebel at the slightest thing.

Still it was a good day, with over twenty pounds collected, though most of that is expense money, especially as I have now dropped my prices.  Still it is a fair lump to the account and will hopefully mean that I will soon be able to start stocking different merchandise, which hopefully in turn lead to better sales.  I have to hold up my hand though and admit that ,as of yet, I have not started producing the hand made cards.  I know that it will probably be my greatest earner but I am still looking for that time turner (if anybody knows where I can collect one please let me know).  I have come to realise that there are only twenty four hours in the day and I have to spend eight of them asleep to be up to producing anything.  Sigh!

I think one of the most wonderful and frustrating parts of the day was when a businessman (who else would be dressed in a very sharp suit and carrying a brief case) enquired about my products and we talked over my inspirations.  Having enquired about one of my bigger prints and the price of it framed (£7-£9) he went to withdraw the cash for it, only for the machine to tell him he had to go on the Internet for some reason.  However, instead of buying nothing he bought a couple of postcards so I didn't go home empty handed.  Curses you computers for denying my a bigger sale!

Any way, for those of you interested the softback version of my book is on sale at

http://www.drivethrufiction.com/product/144687/The-Return-of-a-Nagus?src=hottest_filtered

No comments:

Post a Comment