Tuesday 23 December 2014

I'm on Faceplant... er...Facebook Even!

O.k. I have finally given in to the march of 'progress' and signed up to Facebook.  I'm not entirely happy about it and if my computer subsequently gets a bug then someone else can pay the sixty pound bill to strip the computer down, clear out the bug, reload my recovery disks and the remove, one at a time, the twenty five languages that I don't need hogging the memory space.

Still I'm there now and I suppose that it is another platform that I can use to advertise my artwork and writing on, which is the main reason that I signed up to it.  Still not sure that I like it because it seems even more complicated than twitter and blogger put together but I'll give it a go.  Hopefully I'll get at least a few views from it and maybe a few more visitors when I do a fair.

Did I mention in my last post that I had done a craft fair at the Common Room (not Coffee Lounge, my mistake) at 24 Saint Benedict's Street and this time I actually managed to sell something!  Granted it was only four of my postcard sized photo-cards but it was a sell, or rather three of them (one person bought two of the cards).

It did mean that I got all of forty pence as my wage but it is a start.  The tax fund is still receiving more than I do but that is what I was advised to do, just in case the tax man decides that he wants to take one heck of a bite out of me the first year I make it over the tax threshold and I am kind of thinking of it as my retirement fund.  Especially as by the time I make it to retirement age the possibility of there still being a state pension in the UK is minimal.

To clear up the whole thing about the taxman - the story of a fellow writer.

The first five years she was a professional writer she did not make the tax threshold.  The sixth year she did and the tax man demanded not only the tax for that year but also the tax for the five years previously, pretty much bankrupting her.

What is more the taxman is above and beyond the call of law.  He demands and you cannot fight him in court 'cause you cannot take him to court and even if you could, take him to court that is, who among us has the money to fight that sort of legal battle.  Not me that's for sure.

That and as I said, I'm kind of seeing it as my retirement fund.  If the taxman doesn't want it all then there's my nest egg.  May it grow big before it's needed.

Any way back to the original subject.

You can look me up under the name of V J Bartlett (for some reason I can't use the initial punctuation) and my first album of my art work is open to the public.

If you want to buy any of them as prints, check out:

http://v-j-bartlett.deviantart.com/gallery

One final thing before I go, my boyfriend Stephen 'Stormwell' Hughes has just come up with this song bite based on 'Over the Hills and Far Away' from the Sharpe movies:

"Because the taxman commands
And we cough up,
Down the sofa
And under the rug."

(Looking for the lost change.)

No comments:

Post a Comment