Wednesday 3 September 2014

Ghoulies, Ghosties and the Things That Go Bump in the Night

Last night I went on the Tuesday edition of the Norwich Ghost walk, also known as the Elmhill wall.

It was brilliant.  It turned up parts of Norwich's history that I didn't know existed and showed me a couple of buildings that I hadn't notice before.  One of them particularly in Tombland looks like the architect was high on something when he built it, especially when you view the back and discover the 'door to no where'.  Did the Tudors have reefer?  Or did they make do with dried banana skins?  That's a point, did they have bananas in those days?  I don't know but what ever the designer was smoking I don't think it was normal tobacco.

There were suitable ghoulies and ghosties wandering about, although the helicopter which persisted in buzzing around and making it difficult for all of us was a serious annoyance.  If I'd know who it was I be tempted to go and put a walnut down the exhaust pipe.

Anyway, the ghoulies and ghosties where brilliant and apparently 'Brother John' rather liked me.  I didn't think that monks where allowed that sort of thing but as my friend Stormie pointed out, they used to have a passageway that ran below the road so they could nip out to the Maid's Head Hotel for a sneaky drink.  If they were doing that you have to wonder what they were getting up to with the bar maid.

All in all, it was a thoroughly enjoyable night out and was highly entertaining and informative.  The Man in Black, as our host introduced himself, was brilliant at spinning a yarn and playing up the atmosphere.  If you like slightly creepy and rather funny then I high recommend going on one of the walk.  The Man in Black and his creepy crew can also do birthday parties but only if the ghosts are not on strike.

If you want to go on one of the walks, then just meet up outside of the Adam and Eve pub, Bishopsgate, Norwich at 7.30pm on Tuesday or Thursday night (they do a different walk on the different evenings) or check up www.ghostwalksnorwich.co.uk.

I loved every minute of the two hours and these a Halloween special coming up but apparently you need to book that one 'cause they've had to impose a number limit for health and safety reasons.  That and the ghosts get shy if there are too many people there.

No comments:

Post a Comment