Tuesday 2 September 2014

Post Me a Time Turner Please

The title is a general cry for help right now because between my book, my script, my own artwork, a commission, work from the Norwich Writers' Circle (I'm the Membership Secretary) and the house work I am pretty much utterly swamped.

Let's put it this way, yesterday I had twenty five jobs on my list of jobs to do, today I have twenty two and counting.  It seems as fast as I chop one of them off the list another one jumps up and attaches itself to my butt.  I'm up to my aft in alligators and I can't find the plug to drain the swamp.

So saying, most of the big jobs are being to approach being complete.  The script for 'Sleeping Beauty: A Pantomime' is over half way done so I'm hoping to post that up on RPGnow for sale by the end of the month.  It will be interesting to see how well it does as I've already had two amateur dramatic groups voice interest in it.

The front cover of my book is also making head way.  I've found a design that I much prefer.  Writers' Tip: Keep the front cover of your book simple.  Have a look at the recent editions of the 'Farseer Trilogies' by Robin Hobb, 'Harry Potter' by J. K. Rowling and the 'Artemis Fowl' series by Eoin Colfer.  All of them hit the best seller charts and though the contents of the books are what gains you fans, it is the front cover that gets the books off the shelves in the first place.

I know that the new author wants recognition for their years of hard work crafting, researching, rewriting and generally sweating and bleeding over their manuscript (hello I am one remember) but I'm sorry to say that it is the book cover that turns your manuscript into a book and it is the book that sales.

That is still pretty cold comfort when you are rushing around disappearing up your own backside, wishing that you could be in two places at once (hence the plead for a time turner) and still trying to improve the world just a little bit.  Homo autistic I maybe, I still care about the fact that there are people in Africa starving because it gets £30 billion in aid and looses £129 billion to exploitation, most through so-called tax havens. (Check out World Development Movement for details.)

And politicians will still try and tell you that slavery was abolished centuries ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment